Saturday, May 3, 2014

A tribute to T Rajendar

I've been thinking about a lot of things in the past week and have been feeling a lot of feelings. So - last night, I spoke to a really cute guy on the phone, sat on the terrace on the fifth floor, meditated, ate some chocolate dessert, went for a drive with my dad. I spoke to my dad about my predicament. My dad, in his usual inimitable style said, "Just let go and surrender. Go read and write."

As a result of all that, I finally found what needed to be done. This has been on my mind for a long time. I think God has shown me the way.

I'm going to write about someone who has been a huge part of my life from the time I went to law school and felt like a lost bird. A constant companion, a guide, a source of entertainment and enlightenment.

I'm going to write about T. Rajendar. Yes, that's him.




I'm sure you're thinking, "What! That was your takeaway from all this!"

I don't think my dad had this in mind either when he suggested it, but hey, I'm writing, okay?

T. RAJENDAR a.k.a KARADI a.k.a TR

He's just incredibly amazing. For all the following reasons:

(1) He'll talk in rhymes, dance and fight - all at once.



This is called the "I'll-fuck-with-your-mind-so-much-that-you'll-die" technique. It is said that they watched this movie, learned and started using it in Abu Ghraib. Just when the victim thinks that it's all over, you break into a rhyme, dance and freak the shit out of him.

Transcript:

TR: Come my brother in law,
Banana fritter, 
I'll tear up your body, 
And then make fritters. 

(2) He'll give you live beat-boxing at the drop of a hat. 



This was a live call-in show. Start watching from 1:06. He has fans that encourage his antics. This particular caller is asking him about when he plans to get an Oscar award. TR proceeds to explain the difference between Indian tapori music, "African" music and Hip Hop.

TR: "Ka ka ki kaa gagagaga kaaka kaeeeka gaga"

Caller: "Wow sir, they seem to giving Oscars to random people, you deserve one"

TR: "I don't want an Oscar, I just want the people to listen to my music"
"You touch me, my entire body is full of music"
"This video is going viral on Youtube soon, Tamilians need to get inspired by me"

(3) He can dance like a woman in heat. 




This video is gold by Youtube standards. There's a priceless belly shake that happens in this video (1:04). It's like jelly-meets-earthquake. The amazing thing is, he does the beat, the strange animal orgasmic noises, dances, does the jelly-meets-earthquake AND acts like a woman ALL AT THE SAME DAMN TIME.

[Note: Yes, watch this video for the "same damn time" reference. I have a feeling Rick Ross and TR might even be related. Notice the beards and big belly?]

(4) He can lift his dhoti, spread his legs, show his striped boxers, pose, hold an aruvaal and protect two women at the SAME DAMN TIME.



Notice that there's a fan set up somewhere to make his dhoti fly and make him look sexy.

The camera man is tired and says "Okay! Okay! Okay sir, Okay sir! Okay enough sir!". That doesn't stop our man. Notice how the women and other characters disappear from the photo-shoot in the middle.


(5) His anger is unstoppable. He can take on any cheeky reporter at any point in time. 

This reporter made the mistake of telling him that nobody attended TR's speech. Boy, that sure did piss TR off.



Somewhere around 1:00

TR: Come on! Come on! You're trying suppress, oppress and depress the view of the Tamilian.

*claps*

TR: Thamizhan ya! (he repeats that three or four times)

TR: How can you say! How can you say!

(6) He knows English




Just watch the video. I don't need to say anything else.
This video was my religion during law school.


People judge him all the time. He's popularly called a Karadi (bear) and is often made fun of, laughed at and what-not.

But you know what's amazing? - HE DOES NOT GIVE A FUCK about any of it. That's exactly why I'm his fan.






No comments: